Discover the Community Hub at the Delaware Hospice Center
We talk a lot about the state-of-the-art alternative to hospital care we offer at the Delaware Hospice Center. (And with good reason!) But the Delaware Hospice Center is so much more than a place to get high-quality 24/7 hospice and respite care—it’s a true hub for the entire community, regardless of whether you have a loved one staying here. From the full agenda of activities that take place in our Community Conference Room to the laughter of children, the Delaware Hospice Center is full of life.
Here are just a few of the resources and goings-on at the Center that might surprise you:
- “Good Grief” Monthly Drop-In Support Groups use the Center as a comfortable meeting place to find companionship on their journey.
- Community and professional organizations can utilize our Community Conference Room at no cost. (But donations are always welcome!) The flexible space offers seating for up to 60; a staging area with a fridge and sink; restrooms; and audiovisual equipment.
- Visitors can reflect and reminisce as they wander the Garden or visit their loved one’s memorial brick on the Pathway of Memories.
- For four days every summer, tents pop up outside and the grounds fill with music and laughter while the Center serves as one of the host locations for Camp New Hope. The day camp program gives grieving children the opportunity to process their loss with peers under the guidance of nationally recognized grief counselors.
- Our honor-system Library offers a collection of grief books, videos, and workbooks to the community, as well as general reading materials for patients and visitors.
- Lunch Bunch meets once a month in the Community Conference Room to offer the community workshops on a variety of topics, from romance in the later years to great ideas about aging from around the world.
- The Center hosts a number of special benefit events, including the Memorial Walk and the Festival of Trees, which welcomes thousands of visitors each holiday season to enjoy a magnificent display of decorated trees and wreaths.
- Our Sussex County home-based care programs occupy the collaborative work space wing of the Delaware Hospice Center.
- The meditation room gives individuals the space to take time out for themselves. Various religious and spiritual books are available as resources for reflection and sources of encouragement.
While the rest of the Center is abuzz with activity, the family-patient wing remains a comfortable, welcoming, and home-like retreat, complete with 16 private rooms that open onto the garden, as well as a common area with fully-equipped eat-in kitchens, living rooms with fireplaces, and kids’ playrooms. The space gives families the time to relax together without the worries of housekeeping or playing host.
Recent upgrades throughout the Center include a new stove in the family-patient kitchen and new furniture in the patient suites. The patient rooms, family common rooms, and several other parts of the Center recently received a fresh coat of paint, while the patient rooms and the Community Conference Room now sport new carpeting. We take pride in keeping our space comfortable and inviting, just like any home or well-loved space!
Best of all, the Delaware Hospice Center has plenty of parking and is easy to get to. What more could you ask for in a community resource?
Why not stop by and see what the Delaware Hospice Center is all about for yourself? For more information, call 800.838.9800.