When an infant, child, or teen has a serious illness, it impacts the entire family. Katybug, specializes in helping kids from perinatal to young adult, find relief from pain and symptoms in their own home, while offering families the practical resources and emotional support they need to cope.
Katybug’s talented team empowers families to focus on the joys of life instead of the child’s illness.
Advantages of pediatric palliative care
From before birth through young adulthood, we help kids live more fully while focusing on the family’s quality of life. With Katybug:
- Your child can be cared for at home, with less disruption to their world.
- Our expert team will bring their specialized knowledge, know-how, and support with them to your home.
- Our experienced professionals are available 24/7, reducing the need for late-night trips to the emergency room.
- The Delaware Hospice Center can provide a home-like alternative to hospital care should symptoms escalate.
Custom-tailored care to you and your child
At Katybug, we work with your child’s physician to create a plan of care specifically developed for your child’s needs. From emotional support to insight into treatment options, each member of our interdisciplinary palliative team brings a unique talent to your home to help your entire family function at its best. Your family’s preferences, comfort level, and goals are our mission, and you remain in the lead of your child’s care plan at all times.
Relief and reassurance for parents
The doubt and stress of being your own child’s care provider can be overwhelming. Members of our team have traveled this road before and are uniquely able to understand your journey. By helping you tackle practical details—like refilling prescriptions and securing medical equipment—we free you to focus on just being a parent. With a compassionate and experienced palliative team by your side, you’ll have the support you need to navigate this difficult time.
Holistic support from an expert team
Each family enrolled in Katybug gets assigned a dedicated team, including a registered nurse and a social worker. Along with our medical director, chaplains, aides, counselors, and volunteers, your team takes a holistic approach to your family’s medical, emotional, and spiritual needs. During regular visits to your home, your team of specialists will provide:
- Pain and symptom management
- Guidance and emotional support for all family members
- Safety tips, education about the illness and its treatment, and confidence
- Assistance with personal care
- Delivery for medications and supplies
- Connections to resources
A no-cost option for families
Most major health insurance companies cover the cost of Katybug care. Although these payments can fall short of the actual costs, no family is ever charged for care. We are grateful to our generous donors and volunteers for making Katybug available to our community.