As the only not-for-profit hospice in Delaware, Delaware Hospice provides education and resources to the community thanks to significant community support expressed through donations, fundraising, and volunteer efforts. Through such generous giving, Delaware Hospice provides a range of family support services to meet the needs of caregivers, community members, and bereaved who are coping with illness, loss, and other life transitions.
When the chapter of caring for a loved one has come to an end, a new journey begins. Yet grief doesn’t follow a typical pattern from beginning to end. It is a process through which we travel and evolve. At times, you may experience difficulties sleeping, eating, or participating in activities which are normally enjoyable. You might encounter uncomfortable feelings such as anxiety, guilt, and confusion. For these reasons, Delaware Hospice is dedicated to providing grief counseling and support for bereaved individuals, families, community members, and children through a special program called New Hope.
When you are ready to seek help in coping with grief, Delaware Hospice offers support and resources in various ways, including:
- Individual counseling
- Support groups
- Grief support workshops
- Luncheons, lectures, and retreats
- Special memorial services
Traveling through the journey of grief can be a highly personal experience. Delaware Hospice can help you move through the grief process when you are ready. For further information, please call 800-838-9800 and ask to speak with a bereavement counselor, or visit our events calendar to locate support resources in your area.
The LifeWorks program offers individual grief support to members of the community, including those seeking support and guidance before or following the loss of a loved one, or any life-changing event. Potential clients may take advantage of consultation by master level therapists, who assess their needs and make recommendations for care. Therapists help members of the community (families not receiving services from Delaware Hospice) as they seek support and guidance during life’s transitional challenges such as:
- Grief and trauma due to death by suicide, sudden death, or terminal illness.
- Life adjustments due to chronic illness, caregiving, diagnosis of serious illness, separation, or divorce.
Follow-up sessions or support groups are recommended accordingly in response to the needs of each individual or family member. The fee for a LifeWorks therapy session is $40.
For more information about LifeWorks counseling, contact Sondra Satterfield, MSW, LCSW, Manager of Family Support Services, at 800-838-9800 or email@example.com.
Grief & Loss Services Available to Work Places
- Group Debriefing – Delaware Hospice Bereavement Staff are available to talk to employees regarding: job loss, employee serious illness/life limiting illness, employee deaths, and any deaths they experienced in their personal lives.
- Memorial or Ritual Services – Remembering those who have died or closure opportunities for employee lay-offs.
- One on One counseling at worksite – Private counseling with expert grief counselors following the above Group Services (Debriefing / Ritual Service). Counselors will stay after group debriefing to meet with any staff person for a one on one counseling session.
- One on One counseling in our Delaware Hospice Offices – New Castle, Kent or Sussex County- (up to three visits).
- Referral to Community Counseling Resources – LifeWorks is a Grief / Loss Counseling Center through Delaware Hospice located in Milford, DE for those seeking more intensive counseling beyond the three free visits.
- Grief/Loss Resources – Support groups, topical workshops, retreats through Delaware Hospice and other organizations.
- Specialized Staff In-services – On varying topics depending on workplace needs: Sudden & Unexpected Death, Grief 101, Normal vs. Complicated Grief, Grief & Children, and How to Deal with Changes in your Life.
For more information about workplace support contact Sondra Satterfield, MSW, LCSW, Manager of Family Support Services, at 800-838-9800 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about family support services offered by Delaware Hospice, look for an upcoming event in your area, or call 800-838-9800.
Download ‘Your Loss, Your Grief’ here, an introduction to the grieving process.